Thursday, August 6, 2009

Satisfying Thai Basil Fried Rice


Favorite favorite favorite fried rice! Check any of your favorite ingredients below:
  • Rice (check!)
  • Thai basil (check!)
  • Shrimp (check!)
  • Chinese pork sausage (check!)
  • Shrimp balls (Check!)
  • Pork fat (CHECK!)
I think all Indonesian people LOVE fried rice... And it's super easy to make! Because Thailand is our neighbor, we kinda use the same spices and ingredients for cooking. And because I have a little pot of Thai Basil plant at home, I decided to use them up today. I love growing herbs at home!

Okay, here's about me and cooking food and writing recipes... If I take the recipes from a website, that's no problemo at all. But if I come up with the recipe myself, I kinda eyeball eveything and I don't really have perfect measurement for the ingredients. So u're gonna see "one bunch of this, one pinch of that, etc etc." I always go by the taste if it needs more seasoning or not. But I'll try to write the recipe as accurate as possible...

Basically you can put any meat or vegetable in this fried rice.. It depends what you have on ur fridge and what u like really. I made a vegetarian stlye one time for my friends.

There's no really Mise En Place for this recipe. Just have big pan to fit all the ingredients!

Serving size: 4 hungry people
Here's the ingredients:
  • 6 Cups of cooked rice , cook your rice with a little bit less water so it's not mushy when u cook the fried rice.
  • 1 Cup peel and deveined shrimp
  • 1 Cup thinly sliced chinese sausage
  • 1 Cup shrimp balls, cut in half
  • 1 Cup of thinly sliced cabbage
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 tbsp Kokita bumbu Nasi goreng sedap
  • 2 tbsp Crispy Prawn Chili (I got this from my sister in Malaysia but u can definitely buy this at Asian grocery store in Malay or Thai section)
  • 1 Cup of Thai Basil (U can also buy this at Asian grocery store or u can buy the plant at Home Depot and have a little herb garden at ur house)
  • 2 large eggs
  • The secret ingredients: 1 tbsp Pork Fat (Believe me, this makes a difference! Don't be scared of this...)
  • Pepper
  • Fish Sauce (about 3 tbsp)
  • Sweet soy sauce (about 3 tbsp)

Here's how u make it:
1. Put a little bit veg. oil on the pan and put the chinese sausage and just let them get crispy a bit on the outside.
2. Add your pork fat, garlic, shallot, Bumbu Kokita, and Crispy prawn chili until it smells yummy and delicious.
3. Crack the eggs in the middle of the pan and let it cook and just scramble it a little bit.
4. Add the shrimp and shrimp balls and sautee it until the shrimps cooked (not too long!)
5. Add all the rice.
6. Add pepper, fish sauce, and sweet soy sauce. Just stir it all together until combined.
7. Add the cabbage and basil and stir it until they wilt.
8. Adjust the seasoning.

Really full from dinner... This is definitely a filling meal. But there's always room for dessert, right? I think I'm just gonna eat whatever dessert I have in the fridge. I think... there's blueberry peach tart from Emily =) Or coconut pecan tart from Emily too =)
Enjoy your dinner time everybody!





3 comments:

  1. Hahahaa nitt I love how u say dun be scared of this and dun be scared of that. Hahaha :) woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's much better than buying from chinese to go =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeahh....at least i have credit here :D

    ReplyDelete