Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The drooling Nutella Swirl Pound Cake


I made this today and I think everybody wants to know and try this twisted classic recipe! The cake turned out great! So Soft and so nutella-y! I don't know anybody who doesn't like Nutella...
The picture that I posted was not the one that I baked today because my swirl didn't look that pretty. I guess I need to learn how to swirl beautifully! hehehe...
I adjust this recipe a little bit, just to balance the sweetness to my liking. I found this recipe from the Food and Wine Mag. and I immediately had a special connection with the recipe! hahaha...

Here's the Mise en Place:
- Mixing bowl with paddle attachment
-2 small/medium bowls
-Sifter
-Whisk
-Spatula
-Either 9x5 in. loaf pan or 8x8 in. pan that I used.
-Nonstick cooking spray

Here's the very simple ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 large eggs, at room temp.
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks of butter, soft
  • 3/4 cups of sugar (The original recipe was 1 1/4 cups of sugar, YIKES!)
  • 3/4 cups Nutella
Here's the very simple steps:
1. Preheat oven 325F and spray the pan with nonstick spray.
2. Cream butter ans sugar together in med-high speed until light and fluffy. About 3 min.
3. Meanwhile, in one bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
4. In another bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla lightly.
5. After the butter mix is light and fluffy, in low-med speed, gradually beat the egg mix until fully incorporated. Scrape.
6. Add the flour mix into 3 batches in low speed. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape each time you add the flour.
7. Final mix just until incorporated. About 10 secs.
8. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the pan. Add 1/2 of Nutella. Repeat that step again.
9. Take a bread knife or fork to make swirl.
10. Bake for 1 hour 15 min (for 9x5in. pan) or 50 min. ( for 8x8in. pan)

One of the thing that most people do when they bake is to Over mix the cake batter! You cannot overmix it if you want a fluffy cake! What I mean is when you are in the stage of adding the flour, just mix it just until incorporated. Not mixing it for 5 min. with the flour in because you want to make sure the batter is smooth, etc.etc.... So, the key is to go easy with your mixing once you add the flour.

So... Happy trying and keep your feedbacks comin! Or maybe if you have any request, let me know... Im gonna eat another piece of this cake now! With hot tea perhaps... Enjoying my day off's teatime!

2 comments:

  1. woo.....im gonna try it as soon as we have finished all Belle's bday cake :D

    ReplyDelete